Your body is going through enormous changes as your baby develops inside of you. While pregnancy can be a wonderfully rewarding experience, it can also be a pain, quite literally. Let’s take a look at the causes of headaches during pregnancy and what remedies exist to relieve the pain.
What causes headaches during pregnancy?
Other causes of headaches during pregnancy to watch out for include fatigue, hunger, overheating, low blood pressure, dehydration, and stress. If you have cut down or given up caffeine or nicotine this may also be the reason for headaches as your body adjusts. So make sure you’re aware of what your body needs.
What effective remedies exist for headaches during pregnancy?
- Healthy balanced diet – Make sure your diet is full of fruit and vegetables to keep you operating at your optimum level.
- Drink – Make sure you get plenty of fluids into you, the best option being water.
- Exercise – If you are not feeling well, head outside for a walk in the park and get some fresh air. Exercise will make you feel better and assist with your blood circulation and overall health. Taking up a yoga class is also an excellent idea.
- Medication – Taking aspirin or painkillers are not usually recommended, but some pills are considered relatively safe to use during pregnancy. Consult with your doctor on this.
- Green tea – Make yourself a nice pot of herbal tea with mint to soothe your mind and body.
- Managing stress and relaxation – If you find that you are stressed when the headache arises, it might be wise to relax. Try some breathing techniques or even meditation to calm your mind and body and relieve stress.
- Hot and cold packs – Alternating between hot and cold packs on your head throughout the day can provide some relief. Also some ice on the back of your neck may help.
- Massage – Massaging your neck, shoulders and head may also help to relieve the pain. Ask your partner to help you out here.
Pregnancy can be tough and uncomfortable at times. Just remind yourself that your body is undergoing many changes. Be patient and kind with yourself, you deserve it!