If you’re the adventurous type, it’s possible that you are in the market for unique baby names. With a wealth of cultures and historical time periods to choose from, the lists are practically endless.
Before embarking on your search ask yourself if there is a particular time period or culture you would like to honour. Do you want a Latin name? Or how about a name from the times of ancient Egypt? Or perhaps you would like to honour your Greek heritage? Whatever your motivation, you’re sure to find a wealth of choice.
Unique baby girl names
Here are some uncommon baby girl names from the past:
Aerlea – an ancient Greek name meaning ‘ethereal’ that dates to the mythic period when Goddesses and Gods reigned.
Isis – a powerful Egyptian Goddess and the mother of Horus.
Ishani – means ‘the ruling Goddess’ and comes from Sanskrit.
Delilah – an ancient Hebrew name meaning ‘the one who weakened’.
If you’re not looking to name your daughter after an ancient goddess, here are some uncommon names used in the US in 2013: Amabel, Electra, Jacinta, Snow and Verena.
Unique baby boy names
Here are some interesting boy names from the ancient world:
Gyasa – an uncommon boy name originating from ancient Egypt meaning ‘the wonderful one’. Zeus – the most powerful Greek God meaning ‘sky’ or ‘shine’.
Naveen – a Sanskrit name meaning ‘new’ originating from ancient India.
Elijah – a not so common Jewish biblical name of an ancient prophet.
If you’re looking for a less culturally loaded name, here are some not so common names used in the US in 2013: Barnabas, Cashel, Clancy, Day and Indigo.
Important Baby Naming Tips
• Ask yourself if the name feels right and if it resonates.
• If you aren’t already aware of the name’s meaning, a quick search on the internet should be able to find it.
• Say the full name out loud. Does it sound good with the middle and surname?
• Write out baby’s full name and initials. Does it look good?
• If you feel you need more opinions, check with your friends and family and find out what they think about the name.
• Brainstorm potential nicknames – you don’t want baby to get teased at school!
Keep vigilant and good luck in your search, there are so many unique baby names to choose from!